It’s been two weeks since our big move into the house, and I feel like things are really starting to settle back into a daily rhythm. This means getting back into cooking, and testing out my gorgeous new kitchen! I’ve been testing out some recipes, and some variations of ones I’ve posted so that there are more options using the same base recipe. Because who doesn’t like option, right?? I have 60+ different teas at home, and toeing the line of close to 80+ different spices and seasonings. The fella was a bit in shock and awe at house much I had just hiding away behind cupboard and cabinet doors. I think she’s slowly recovering from that shock, but it still might take a few months!
We’ve started working on some home projects, mainly our home theater in the basement. It’ll be small but cozy down there, so keep an eye out for some movie snacks like gourmet popcorn recipes! That’s one of my favorite snacks, so I love finding new ways to make it (like with bacon fat. Trust me, it’s ahhhhmazing!)
Sweet corn is at the peak of its season right now it Ohio, so I stopped by my favorite farmers market to get the best sweet corn around, Szalay’s. They’ve been around since 1931, and definitely know how to grow that sweet corn perfectly. If you’re ever in the area, it’s a must visit. I have a favorite go-to recipe from Lori over at RecipeGirl for Corn Griddle Cakes, but decided to put my own flair to it. Her recipe is amazing, http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/02/16/bacon-and-corn-griddle-cakes/ , and credit is definitely due to Lori, so check it out!
What you will need...
Yields about 10 griddle cakes
- 4 slices (1 ½ oz) thick cut bacon – I used a spicy maple kind from the local grocery store, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 heaping cup (8 oz) of corn kernels
- 1/3 cup (100g) onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp (10g) green onion or garlic scapes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15g) hot pepper or 1 whole jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- ¾ cup (4 BabyBel/3 oz/85g) cheese, diced or shredded
- 1 cup (4 oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together all of the ingredients. The batter will be very thick, and you want everything to get coated and no dry flour. Stir for about a minute.
- Heat a pan or skillet of medium heat. Spray or coat the pan lightly with oil to keep from sticking.
- Once the pan is heated, scoop out ¼ cup (about 80g) of the mixture for each griddle cake.
- Cook on each side for about 2 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
You can top these with maple syrup (which is my favorite), extra corn, green onion, bacon or cheese or with a fried egg. For an extra spicy kick, add more peppers, cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the batter! These make a dense and delicious griddle cake packed with flavor. They’re also very filling to attack that morning hunger! I usually have 2-3 if eaten alone, or 1-2 if paired with an egg or two.
Macros (per one griddle cake): 5.5g of Fat, 26.5g of Carbohydrates, 7.25g of Protein, about 185 Calories. (These are approximate and can vary due to preparation type and other factors)